Sunday, March 26, 2017

Things that Make me Happy

On February 15th, I was diagnosed with clinical depression and mild anxiety.

 It was a huge blow to me because I never felt depressed or sad. But looking back over my life, I did have the signs. The last six weeks have been some of the hardest in my life. Adjusting to medication and realizing that I can't control my brain...it's been rough.

But I refuse to let this define me.

I may have depression, my brain might not function correctly, but I can still be happy.

So I started doing things to make me happy, and not care about the depression. Sure it still makes me tired and unmotivated, but I want to still live my life the best I can. .


  1. My new pet fish Jimmy. One of my favorite jokes goes: "Why can't Jimmy ride a bike? Because Jimmy is a goldfish." Stupid? Probably but it makes me laugh every time. Because I don't have room for a goldfish (apparently they need 30 gallons of water!) I bought a Betta fish named Jimmy, got a small bike from Hobby Lobby, and now have a pet fish. And it has made me so happy. 
  2. My pink tulips outside. They were $5 from Home Depot and they have brightened my day. My favorite color is pink and they fit the bill just perfectly. I love seeing them every morning when I head to work as a reminder that I a happy.
  3. This sign from Hobby Lobby. I saw it on Instagram and died laughing. That's when I realized I needed it, because it made me happy. So I bought it. 
  4. A clean fridge. Lately leftovers have been lingering in my fridge for far too long so I decided to clean out the freezer and fridge, wipe down the shelves and organize it. There is just something rewarding about tackling a project like that and completing it. 
  5. My clean bathtub. When we moved in, our tub had a nasty gringy gray look to it. But thanks to Bar Keeper's Friend, it's as white as ever. 
  6. My cactus named Fern. I got this tiny cactus as a graduation present from my sister Whitney and it has been with me for over 5 years. I love this little thing. 
  7. Connor made me this coat rack a few weeks ago, and it has been so nice to have. 
  8. I bought Cheetohs for lunch and didn't even care that they were 310 calories. I enjoyed every last bite. 
  9. Me and my youngest sister went to the Library and I checked out a young adult book. Who says that they are just for teenagers. 
  10. I stayed in bed and wrote this blog post, just because I could. :) 
What makes you happy? For the record, I am doing fine! I have my days but overall I am doing much better. Still haven't lost weight, but that will come with time. Right now I am trying to focus on healing through proper medical help, therapy, and my Savior's Atonement.

No comments:

Post a Comment