Saturday, December 3, 2016

"Matchmaker" - A Review on Adventure

Lately I've been home alone many nights, because of Connor's work schedule. I didn't want to be alone AGAIN so I took myself on a date to see Matchmaker by Thornton Wilder performed by the USU theater department. And let me tell you, it was amazing!

For those who don't know, here is a brief synopsis of the play, which was the basis for the Tony Award winning musical Hello Dolly:  http://www.twildersociety.org/works/the-matchmaker/

I laughed almost the entire play. And not just the courtesy laugh that one gives to be polite, but literally LOL-ing. The wit and humor of each individual characters really made for an enjoyable evening. Now, I will admit, the play started off slow, but not because the actors were bad. The story was a little eccentric to get into. But in Act II the humor and farce of the play really shone through.

I walked away tonight generally impressed with the talented group we have on our college campus. Earlier in the year I attended a play done by the same company, and although I didn't enjoy the play itself, the acting was amazing.

Why is this on a married blog? Mostly because the play was free. If you're looking for a date night or something fun to do, many colleges and universities have free-for-students activities. Sometimes they even include food!

But also for this quote:

I think that having adventures is important, and that we should have more of them. In the play, whenever Barnaby thinks they are in an "adventure" he yells out "Pudding!" I loved it.

My goal for you is to find an adventure with your spouse and then GO ON IT! Do something sporadic like a drive up the canyon or stay home and have Nerf gun fight. Just have an adventure this next week and see where life takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment