Saturday, October 15, 2016

Happy Anniversary to Us

This has been one of those weeks that make you want to run away and live out your days as a hobo. School pressure, work projects, just the busyness of life was wearing me down. On Thursday I texted my husband saying "Can we have an adventure soon? You know, like a sporadic moment?" The previous week I had also expressed to him my desire for a vacation. There's something about leaving Logan and staying in hotel that is so relaxing to me. I love hotels. When I'm at a hotel, I don't worry about cleaning or being lazy because they signify relaxation and vacation.

And boy did I need that.


Friday rolled around (our anniversary being the next day) and I was so ready for the weekend. I invited a friend over for a DIY pumpkin garland (I'll post soon!) and I finally felt sane. It was just the pick-me-up I needed.

Connor came home from work, went in the kitchen and asked "So, you going to make anything for dinner?" Connor NEVER is one to ask so I was super shocked. I told him our food plans and he expressed his craving for a burger.

We had already been planning to go to Hu Hot the next evening for our anniversary so I wasn't feeling super spendy. But I had requested and adventure, so I agreed.

"But let's drive to Brigham," he said. My friend that had come over was from there recommended a few places so we Googled them and drove over. We ended up eating at Peach City Ice Cream Co. Cute little joint with old fashioned cheeseburgers, sweet potato fries, and old jukeboxes that let you pick the song! It was a perfect surprise.

While eating, Connor asked if I wanted to go home through Tremonton. I had no problem with it! I knew how much he liked driving that route. As we headed onto the main highway, he said he needed a few items from Walmart.

After checking out, we started driving when I realized he'd totally missed the turn!

"Connor!" I exclaimed.

"Dang it!" He drove over the freeway to where a couple gas stations were situated. I thought we were just turning around but he took a right, pulling into Day's Inn Hotel parking lot.

"Happy Anniversary!" he said.

I could not contain my happiness. At first, I didn't believe him. "Don't mess with me Connor," I told him. "I didn't even pack!"

He just smiled and said, "Got you covered." My overnight bag was in the trunk.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I just started kissing him. He knew how much I needed this and how much I loved hotels. Sure it wasn't super fancy but it meant the world to me.

As we got in the hotel, I turned on the TV to find Harry Potter playing on Free Form. We had watched this same marathon in our hotel on our honeymoon! What a great anniversary tradition to have right? We cuddled and watching Harry Potter all night.


My husband is the greatest. This last year of marriage hasn't been easy by any means. We've grown, changed, and learned how to be married. Though there have been rough patches, I wouldn't trade them for anything. My grandma once said, "There will be days when you want to kill each other, but then you realize how much you'd miss them." How true it is. I love my husband.

I love the way he sings in the shower when he's happy. I love that he drinks Mtn. Dew in orange juice. I love that he listens to me, all my fears, hopes, dreams. I love that he isn't a morning person (I totally am though so sometimes that's a problem). I love how hard he works. I love how diligent he is in his prayers and scripture study. There has never been a moment in our year of marriage that we have been tempted to NOT go to church. I love that he puts up with my cooking experiments. I love that he makes the bed every morning because he knows how much that means to me. He keeps my feet warm, my face smiling, and my heart happy.

To end my super sappy love post, Mark 10:9

 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Connor and I were sealed for time and all eternity by the power of Jesus Christ. It's through his Atonement that our marriage will withstand the temptations of the Adversary. Connor and I have a long way to go, but I am grateful to have my best friend to journey with.

Alisha










No comments:

Post a Comment