Friday, November 18, 2016

Spilled Black Beans

\\Guys, this might be a stretch of a parable but please, use your imagination//

This morning we woke up to a broken fridge and soured milk. Half of the food was ruined. We scramble to clean up before work and in my rush, I knocked over a can of black beans. The lid had been opened and I literally "spilled the beans." Small black pods were all over the fridge, all over the floor.

Piece by piece I attempted to pick up the beans. If you have never picked up beans, I don't recommend it. They squish easily making a bigger mess. Beans aren't super liquid so a paper towel didn't mop them up either.

Some choice words came out of my mouth as I spent the next five minutes picking up each individual bean.

As I sat picking at the small, squishy particles, my thoughts went to the language we used towards our spouses.

In a heated moment, sometimes words can be said that aren't meant. Or cruel, unnecessary things may fly out of our mouths. We never mean to treat our spouses with such distaste, just like I didn't mean to knock over the black beans. But just like those beans, our words, once out, are hard to take back. It's difficult to say a lump apology for a week of bad things said, just like I couldn't pick all the beans up in a large chunk.

One by one, we need to think of the wrongs committed against our spouse and ask for their forgiveness. Being specific in our apologies makes them more genuine and real.

So next time you are tempted to say not-so-nice things, remember the beans.




No comments:

Post a Comment