Thursday, February 2, 2017

TOPIC: Location Based Platforms

Sometimes, I am a little creeped out by how much social media knows about my life. It knows what foods I like, what my hobbies are, when I got married, where I go to school ... Ya. Creepy.

But the biggest thing that creeps me out, is how some apps know exactly where I am, all the time. I understand that you can turn these things off, and I have most of them turned off, but I still don't like it.

For instance, did you know that your iPhone keeps track of where you've been and how long you stay in areas? Check out this BuzzFeed article if you don't believe me.

But for this post, I wanted to touch on two of my favorite location-based platforms and their uses.

The first location-based platform that I want to discuss, is the app Waze. After hearing a classmate give a pitch about this tool, me and my husband downloaded it on our way to California. If you have ever driving in California traffic, you can understand why this real-time app is helpful. We were updated as to where all the gas stations were, cops, accidents, ice, weather conditions, everything. I loved that I just hooked it to the Bluetooth system in my car and didn't have to look at it. The app just piped up in a kind voice letting me know that a hazard was ahead. We were prepped and made it to and from Southern California in one piece, thank to Waze.

The next one I wanted to talk about was Snapchat. One of my favorite geofiltering features that Snapchat offers, is the new filters it offers based on your location. After taking a photo, it's exiting to swipe and see the various filters available your area. So for instance when I'm in Jackson Hole, WY, the filters are completely different than when I'm in Disneyland. It's a really fun way for people to share their travels.

Did you know that by paying a small fee (usually around $5), Snapchat will let you design a custom filter, geotarget a specific location, and let people use it? Cool right? This blog post walks you through, step-by-step, how to create one!

What kind of possibilities do you see in this location-based tool that Snapchat offers?

1 comment:

  1. We used snap chat for the same thing! I think its awesome and it sounds like you do as well! The filters vary like crazy when you get outside of utah! Fun little filters!

    Anyway! I liked your blog! Very well said!

    ReplyDelete