Thursday, September 29, 2016

My White Board

When we first got married, I bought this super cute white board from Target. I was really excited to use it, until I found out it started on Monday instead of Sunday. Not that it was a big deal, it just threw me off for a while until I realized it wouldn't be bad to write over the top. So I did. Now it is the main source of budgeting and scheduling for our married student life.




I love using a white board for a calendar because not only does it save the trees (kinda kidding) but I can also customize it in my hand writing. Writing with dry erase markers is one of my favorite things to do. (When I was in the M.T.C. they called me "teacher" because I would always volunteer to write on the board)

On our white board I put a few things.

  • Bills: This is so I can keep track of when most of our things will be due. A lot of what we pay is automatic withdrawal and having a visual reminder helps me to stay on budget. 
  • Special Holidays or Events: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Holidays, that sort of thing. For October I put my little sister's birthday, our anniversary, Fall Break from school, our monthly temple night, and Halloween. Sometimes if there's a special ward party or family get together I'll put that on their as well. Or if we have a big date planned and we don't want to forget. 
  • Pay Day's: This also keeps me on track as to when we get paid. Not that we are living paycheck paycheck, we are firm believers in saving, but it's helped balance between income and expenses. 
  • On the side I leave room for whatever the heck we want. Last month it was a "schedule" that we made up together to ensure we had time for each other. This time we made a "Fall Bucket List" to make fun dates. Most of them include things from our Cache Valley fall dates post (here). 
  • Last, I make sure there is a scripture or inspiring quote to keep us motivated. The last two months have feature our mission scripture which says to have GREAT faith and MIGHTY prayer. I realized early on in our school/married life journey that we'd have to have those things to survive. 

Having a white board calendar is the perfect way for me keep organized in our crazy, hectic lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment