Saturday, September 17, 2016

Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs

I realized that for a cooking blog I sure don't post a lot of recipes. The last two weeks I haven't cooked much just because of things I can't control. But a dear friend requested this recipe from me and I realized I need to share what I make more. So I'm going to make a better effort to post about my favorite foods. One day I'll have them all organized. 

This meal was seriously one of the favorites here. I made once back when we were first married and I had no idea what the heck I was doing in the kitchen. A year later I've figured out a few things. 
I got this recipe from Dishes and Dust Bunnies and man was it good. On the original site it talked about marinating it which I haven't tried (yet being the keyword) but the other times I've made it it was great. 

A tip for this recipe: follow the directions. I know that sound so silly  but honestly if you want it to turn out every time make sure you spoon the sauce, thicken the sauce, use bone-in chicken cuts that sort of thing. 

When we ate it I served it with brown rice and green beans. So yummy! Enjoy. 

Ingredients

  • 3 lbs chicken thighs (you can use any chicken you like really, not only thighs)
  • 4 - 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 small onion, grated or minced into fine pieces
  • ¼ cup soy sauce (I used the reduced sodium kind)
  • ⅓ cup ketchup
  • ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp honey
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1½ tbsps brown sugar
  • For the Sauce on the Side:
  • 2 tsps cornstarch
  • Drippings from the baking dish

Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
In a glass 9"x13" baking dish whisk together all ingredients except for the chicken. Combine well.
Place the chicken into the dish and spoon some of the mixture over top of each piece.
Place the baking dish in the oven uncovered and bake for 45 - 60 minutes.
Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove from the baking dish and place on a serving plate.
Serve with rice, veggies or anything else you might enjoy it with!

Sauce:

Skim the fat off the top of the drippings as much as possible. If there's a little fat left, that's ok too.
Combine about ¼ of the drippings and the cornstarch in a small dish and set aside. Mix it together using a whisk to make sure there are no lumps.
Pour the remaining drippings into a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
Add the cornstarch mixture and lower the heat. Stir constantly using a whisk until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Remove from the heat and serve with the chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment